Monday, September 22, 2014

Classic Apple Cake


We had a little 'disaster' this weekend at home. My daughter got a hold of a cup of flour and 'accidentally' sprinkled it all over her doll house and everywhere you can think of.. including the disproportional blond Barbies, the miniature retro furniture, the Barbie cruise line with the pool... it looked like she tried to generate a snow storm of some sort. Though it may have been cute to her, it was not so cute to me... especially after spotting a 'little' trail of flour footprints down the stairs straight into the kitchen. Oy yo yo! Needless to say, I banned barbies for a couple of weeks and I forgave her to avoid the guilt trip. After all, I just love her delicious face.

I had to take a little pause from blogging mainly because I got into hosting and co-producing a new community TV show called Give Back Montreal. It's a kinda feel-good show that features Montreal's inspirational philanthropists and the respective organizations they support. It kept me busy hence I had to hold off on the food blogging and yes, the family had to settle for countless pizza and pasta nights, until recently.

So back to kitchen business. It's a new year, a new time to share food, an opportunity to connect and a perfect time to celebrate and share those sweet things! Apples are a staple fruit on the Jewish new year of Rosh Hashanah, and I figured we can all use a full-proof and classic apple cake recipe like this one. I borrowed this cake recipe from my friend Norene Gilletz's Second Helpings, Please! I have been making this apple cake for years. It's simply delicious and so beyond easy to make.

INGREDIENTS PREP TIME 15 min | TOTAL TIME 1 hour | Yield 8-12
Recipe by Norene Gilletz

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup oil or 3/4 stick of unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons water or orange juice
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Apple filling
  • 6-8 apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I like using a blend of Granny Smith, Gala and Cortland apples)
  • ½ cup white or brown sugar
  • 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in oil or butter.
  2. Add liquid alternately with dry ingredients (don't forget the baking powder!) and beat until just smooth.
  3. Spoon half of batter into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Add apples, which have been sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Cover with remaining batter.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, until nicely browned.
To top it all off, be sure to sprinkle icing sugar for that special, yet permissible, messy touch ;-)